Dear Tony,

Great to hear from you. Yes, I think it's important for the project to have
some background in both programming and computational chemistry (e.g., knowing
why you'd care about molecular surfaces, MOs, electron density, etc.)

Beyond that, if you're interested, I encourage you to write a draft and we'd be
happy to provide some feedback.

I'd suggest you read the papers linked on the wiki and look at the application
instructions:
http://wiki.openchemistry.org/Applying_to_GSoC
<http://wiki.openchemistry.org/Applying_to_GSoC>

I'd encourage you to consider a few concerns in the proposal. Right know, there
are a few competing GPU techniques (e.g., OpenCL, Vulkan, CUDA, DirectX,
Metal). What technology would provide the best cross-platform experience? How
do you fall back to a multi-core CPU if the GPU isn't compatible? Are there
ways of approximating some of the Gaussian integrals for visualization purposes
(e.g. losing some accuracy but close enough for pixels)?

I would also encourage you to build Avogadro2 and consider submitting a small
patch to GitHub as a way to get up-to-speed on the code.
http://wiki.openchemistry.org/Build

Hope that helps,
-Geoff

---