At 1244317804 time_t, Marco Candrian wrote:
> then again, the C code seemed to have worked nicely. It's also a
> seperate file etc. - nothing to care for all the time?

Not really. That's evolution: adapt or die. And that's how every part of
awesome's code works. I'm sorry that people feel sad when their code
disappears or is being modified and so, but awesome is still a moving
target.

Don't misread me, I don't want to be rude. I know you have paternity
over most of this code, and I (and many people using this widgets) thank
you for that. :-)

For pbar and graph, I've been saying that their API is bad designed
since the 3.1 version of awesome at least, as it's written in my "3.2
version TODO". And it has not been done by me, well, because it has been
low prio until now. Until I felt the widget layout stuff coming from Gregor
and that we did not need their things like "draw on top of each other",
and so that they could be rewritten in a couple of hours. Which I did.

I've adapted the 2 widgets in most parts, so old forms can go away.

There's no reason to keep this both in the C core. Not at all.
Rewritting them in Lua make them:
- better documented;
- more maintainable;
- more evolutive;
- more error proof.

And remove various code duplication, actual and coming.

> I actually meant the C code would be much faster compared to lua,

Probably under extreme condition you are right.

But I do prefer being pragmatic when I can.

Cheers,
--
Julien Danjou
// ᐰ <jul...@danjou.info>   http://julien.danjou.info