Hi,
thank you for you help!
Things work just fine with the nm-applet right now, and i will put most of my time into wrapping my mind around lua-coding the next weeks.
I'll E-Mail you if i want to try an alternative to the network-manager.
Greetings,
Levent

On 02.03.2012 14:36, Wayne Werner wrote:
On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 2:42 AM, Michal Sojka <sojk...@fel.cvut.cz <mailto:sojk...@fel.cvut.cz>> wrote:

    On Wed, 29 Feb 2012, Levent S.B. wrote:
    > Hello altogether!
    > Longing to get away from the graphical overload of standard
    ubuntu, i
    > have finally decided to set up a minimal installation of
    oneiric-ocelot
    > 64 bit with awesome as window-manager.
    > So far i'm very pleased working with it, i'm just not very
    experienced
    > with configuring the system to my hardware. After successfully
    > configuring my sound chip, i'm now fighting with the wireless
    internet
    > connection.
    >
    > I have installed the NetworkManager and added nm-applet to my
    rc.lua as
    > described in http://awesome.naquadah.org/wiki/Nm-applet. I have
    added
    > myself to the netdev-group and set „managed“ in
    > /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf to „true“ to make the
    nm-applet
    > handle connections.
    > This works fine for the normal eth0 wired connection.
    >
    > Available access points are displayed when clicking on the
    applet, but
    > selecting one doesn't have any effect, save for a „Wireless network
    > diconnected“ notification popping up. I'm not prompted for a
    password.

    > Any suggestions?

Something that might be of interest to you (especially if you don't connect to many new places) is using wpa_supplicant. I don't have my config right in front of you, but if wpa_supplicant works for your card you can have it set to connect on boot, and it connects to open, WEP, and WPA just fine. There's a wpa_gui client that allows you to graphically setup the connection once and then you're good to go.

If you're interested I can hunt my configuration down.

HTH,
Wayne