Thank you first for your answers.  See below.

On 29/10/13 14:31, Paweł Rumian wrote:
Hello,

before I will answer some of your questions, I'd point you to a
fundamental difference - while Gnome is a complete desktop
environment, awesome is just(?) a window manager.
You will need to use some additional tools to get the results you have
out-of-the-box in gnome. Gnome also probably uses some separate
programs, just installs and configures them without your
interaction...

nautilus started for icons on background,
http://awesome.naquadah.org/wiki/Autostart

screensaver at ctrl-alt-l
Install a screensaver and configure it to use a shortcut.

automounting
Use udev rules or helper programs or autoFS in kernel

audio applet,
Install audio applet of your choice

suspend2ram when closing the lid (see below for others)?

Use/configure acpid

I noticed how to add some of this *manually*. I searched for a gnome-ish style with all this inside, so that I do not spend hours for it. And, since it uses external programs developed independently of awesome, I fear that I will run into trouble. But I will try.

I exaggerate a bit, but it is like now we cannot buy assembled computers anymore. One has to choose each of the pieces to have a computer. It is useful to have customisation, but is there a customisation ready to use, familiar to people coming from a desktop manager?

How to enable sloppy focus (or focus follows mouse) for all windows?

Hmm, with which windows do you have troubles?

I want to raise a window after .5 seconds when the mouse enters it. I modified rc.lua so that the window get the focus, but I want to raise it too. I have not found a solution for this on Internet.

How to make resize the window by clicking on all the sides of the window
frame (not only the bottom-right corner)?

How to add the classical minimize, maximize and close to titlebar instead of
the five

awesome is tiling WM, which eliminates 99% of situations where you
would need these, thus I have never thought about them.

Well, I noticed several people are happy with that. But I am too habituated to have some applications at fixed size and at fixed locations, and minimise them when I do not need them.

So is it possible to have minimise in the titlebar? I noticed that it still can be minimised by pressing in the statusbar.

Whe I press the keys for audio level, gnome poped up a small dialog on the
screen with volume level, how can this be done with awesome?

Install an appropriate application, bind it to volume keys.

On a terminal for ex., removing at the beginning of a line made an error
sound.  How to enable error sound with awesome?

Configure terminal.

Well, I still use gnome-terminal, so the settings are the same as in gnome. Still, in gnome there was a bell, now there is not. And "terminal bell" is checked on in terminal settings.

How to enlarge the height of the statusbar and the size of the fonts used
inside?  Currently, on my 1920x1200 15"4 screen the statusbar is too small.

Edit theme.lua of your current theme.

Ok, thanks.

I also notices that the keyboard time before repeating key has changed.  Is
that right?

These things are configured by xset.

Since in gnome and in awesome this setting is different, this means that gnome itself modifies this setting, I suppose. Ok, I can do it too.

--
Eugen