Alex mentioned compositors, which reminded me of a question I should have
asked ages ago:

The last time I tried enabling compositing (to get transparent terminals so
I can see my wallpapers), I found that using compton led to the terminal
text not refreshing fast enough (e.g. while scrolling in ranger or
newsbeuter), so I had to disable it.  I notice that I can enable
transparency in the awesome wm interface itself without problems (using
rgba), so I'm not sure exactly what went wrong. Is there currently a
solution to this, or has anyone else even had this problem?