Hello Markus,

The new Ubuntu release is the first (LTS) to ship with the 3.5 version
of Awesome. This version has indeed some changes to how minimized
clients work compared to 3.4. It is hard to minimize clients because
GNOME 3 doesn't really want you to do that.

In the default Awesome config, you can unminimze clients by clicking
on them in the tasklist or adding a new shortcut. In your case, given
you probably disable the widget bar to use the gnome provided by
GNOME, you removed the only way to unminimize clients.

Pressing mod4+n twice will not unminimze clients because it act on the
focused clients and a minimized client, by definition, cannot have the
focus. There was a bug at some point that bypassed this and made it
work anyway, but it was a bug, not a feature. To unminimize a random
client, you can use:

    for _,c in client.get() do
        if c.minimized then c.minimized = false; break; end
    end

In a shortcut. If you added some kind of minimize widget to GNOME
taskbar and it still doesn't work, then this is something else.
Minimizing seem to work fine without GNOME. Commit 02be8943 may or may
not have caused a regression in GNOME, but it hasn't elsewhere, so the
issue may (or may not) be on their side.