On 5/12/2014 3:53 PM, Anthony Petrov wrote:
Hi David,

The fix looks good to me. To answer your questions:

1. Using the XAWT macro is correct. It is only defined if we're building
the XToolkit, which we don't on the Mac. However, everywhere else we
actually check

XAWT is a legacy macro, which was introduced to share code between XToolkit and MToolkit on Linux/Solaris. At the moment, XAWT is always defined on Linux/Solaris and never defined on Mac OS X, so checks against XAWT and MACOSX are interchangeable. In the future, if we support anything besides X11 on Linux/Solaris, XAWT may be of some use again, but MACOSX meaning is unlikely to change. So my preference would be to use MACOSX rather than !XAWT.

Thanks,

Artem

#ifdef MACOSX
// ... do Mac stuff
#else
// ... do X11/Linux/Solaris/etc. stuff
#endif

We're unlikely to start supporting XToolkit/XAWT on Mac in the future,
so is there a reason not to use the MACOSX macro instead for consistency
with the rest of the code?

2. Regarding factoring out the X11 code: firstly we need to rename
src/solaris/ to src/_nix/ (where _nix could stand for UNIX and whatnot).
In that case, moving X11-specific code and OSX-specific code into their
corresponding directories would make sense. Obviously, this is a huge
project and I don't see this happening any time soon.

--
best regards,
Anthony