Semyon,

I read the HTML 5 spec the same as you, and we (on the Javadoc team) started using id on other elements, as well as <a> to provide a target that could be linked to.

However, the pragmatic experience was that the scrolling in some browsers did not completely reveal the element when there was a layered z component involved: the target element sometimes ended up under that layered component. Our experience was that the behavior was fixed when the target identifier was in an <a> element.

So, yes, you can follow the rules, and suggest that it is OK to put id on any element, and use it as a fragment identifier in a link, as given in the spec. Or you can be nice to your readers, and workaround what is probably a display bug in some browsers.

In the case of this review, you were suggesting additional "cleanup" on code that worked. Since there was no bug involved, and thus no inherent need to fix the code, my review feedback is to leave the code alone.  You may choose to insist differently, and I cannot say that what you are suggesting is against the spec; I can just say that we can seen cases where such changes leads to bad visual effects.

-- Jon