On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 17:14, Conscious User <consciousu...@aol.com> wrote:
> My personal suggestion would be dropping the title in the panel as
> mpt suggested, but keeping the idea of merging the titlebar and the
> panel. This means dropping the title entirely in the maximized
> case, yes. I don't think anyone would really care.
>
> For fixing the gap, I'm going to suggest something controversial,
> but that I wanted to suggest for a long time anyway: dropping the
> minimize and maximize buttons, following Gnome3's direction and
> under their same arguments.
>
> This would leave only the space of a single close button to worry
> about and this could be addressed by something with a fixed size
> that does not need to be truncated: AN ICON.

Awesome. Just awesome. This fixes everything, doesn't it?

> Matter of fact, I WOULD suggest placing this icon even when the
> window is maximized and storing a menu with window management
> options in it, just like you already have depending on your
> metacity settings. Close *is* a destructive function you
> don't want near "File", after all... But I won't seriously
> support this second suggestion for the moment, because I
> suspect that would make closefests of maxmized windows too
> inneficient, and this is bad for netbook users.
>
> Thoughts?

I do see a problem with that last one: how is a user going to figure
out how to close the window? An (X) button has familiar meaning, but
an application specific icon is probably not the first place a user
would look. Also, now your icon menu and File menu are located next to
each other and have the same item at the end: Close.

--
Remco