"""
This is largely irrelevant since I'm still defending killing
minimization but... what? From where this remarkable certitude
on such a subjective matter, that does not even require any
kind of justification, came from? :)
"""

No Problem:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composition_(visual_arts)
 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composition_(visual_arts)>Basically, in
visual composition, when there are multiple objects involved, it becomes
pleasing to have one item surrounded by an even number of objects (Thus an
odd number). Five, IMO, brings clutter, particularly to window buttons, and
one would be fine, but two lacks balance.

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 16:08, Conscious User <consciousu...@aol.com> wrote:

> > I don't feel their argument for getting rid of the Minimize button
> > applies to Unity. It works great for Gnome, but we still have
> > somewhere to minimize windows to in Unity, thus the Minimize button
> > has a point.
>
> Several problems here:
>
> 1) The "somewhere to minimize to" was only *one* of the arguments,
> and not even the main one. The Shell has always been designed
> without taking minimization into consideration, for encouraging
> the use of workspaces to organize clutter. The fact that the
> Shell didn't have such place in its final form was more of an
> argument to forget about bringing minimization back, for legacy
> purposes, than to actually removing it in the first place.
>
> 2) Gnome could've used the Shell Dash perfectly to hold minimized
> applications if this "place" argument was the only one. In fact,
> ever since the Unity launcher got autohide there isn't much
> difference between the two with respect to this purpose.
>
> 3) The "somewhere to minimize windows" in the Unity launcher is
> a single icon for multiple application windows that uses Expose
> for switching. Fitting minimization in this would imply
>
>  a) not including minimized windows in the Expose, creating
>     situations where either Expose gets in the way of
>     restoring or vice-versa
>
>  b) including minimized windows in the Expose, effectively
>     either annoying people who minimize windows to temporarily
>     remove them from the workflow or making you question what
>     was the purpose of minimizing in the first place
>
> This could be solved by showing minimized windows in the Expose
> with less priority, like miniaturized or in icon form. OSX does
> this. However, Mark said once in this list that he wants
> minimized windows to appear full-fledged in the Expose, so
> we are dealing with (b)
>
> Unity will ship a form of minimization that is unfamiliar and
> with questionable usefulness. I'm not sure if this is better
> than not shipping at all. :)
>
> > And, three buttons provides a natural feel and is aesthetically
> > pleasing. You can't get that unless you go down to one; two won't
> > work.
>
> This is largely irrelevant since I'm still defending killing
> minimization but... what? From where this remarkable certitude
> on such a subjective matter, that does not even require any
> kind of justification, came from? :)

Ian Santopietro
CEO - Prodigy Games

"Eala Earendel enlga beorohtast