My children who have azorean godparents were all given the little hand when
they were babies.  I was told it was called a "figa"  (that is a  phonetic
spelling).  It is to ward of the evil eye and those who would try  to put a
curse
on you.  Anyone who has relatives born in the Azores knows  that there were
and are a lot of superstitions.  It is believed that there  are people who will
go up to a baby and say  how beautiful they  are and at same time place a
curse on them that can only be removed  some  woman in the village with a
special
power.  This figa is somehow supposed  to protect them from that.  I guess it
is supposed to work the same way for  adults also.  In a nutshell it is to
keep a person safe from curses.

Mary Ann

deal here.