Mary, that's JUST like the one on our house in southern Spain, except that ours
is brass; however the older houses do sometimes have painted ones...

Augusta
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Mary Bordi
  To: azores@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Friday, 05 September, 2008 13:24
  Subject: [AZORES-Genealogy] Re: Azorean Customs/ Jewelry

  On Sep 4, 2008, at 7:25 PM, augustae wrote:
    Sharon... the Spanish have a version of that hand (not forearm, though,
just
    from the wrist down), but holding a round ball... it's called the hand of
    Fatima (mano de Fatima). It's usually made of cast bronze or iron and is
    used as a door knocker.

  I took this photo of the door knocker in GuimarĂ£es or Braga (mainland
Portugal). I know we were talking about jewelry, but someone mentioned the door
knocker.  I didn't realize the connection with Fatima. Interesting!

  Mary     Bordi