Sorry, that was meant to be English men - not Englishment :-)

On 03/05/2009, Robyn Horan <[email protected]> wrote:
> I was interested in this because I have Azorean ancestors who married
> resident Englishment . Their English names were genuine and not
> anglicised. That may be a possibility as well.
>
> But then again , have you seen this site?
>
> http://www.venturacogensoc.org/NR245.htm
>
> It mentions naturalization records for John Bennett and Manuel Bennett
> of Portugal dated August 1892 - a lot of the Portuguese have
> anglicised at least their first names.
>
> Cheers
>
> Robyn
>
> Cheers
>
> Robyn
>
> On 03/05/2009, nancy jean baptiste <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Mary,
>>
>> What a great find your search has revealed....I think your Bettencourt is
>> a
>> good bet!
>>
>> Nancy
>>
>>
>>
>> From: [email protected]
>> To: [email protected]
>> Subject: [AZORES-Genealogy] Bennett surname--and interesting story
>> Date: Sat, 2 May 2009 17:16:04 -0700
>>
>> Anyone have a guess about what Portuguese name the surname Bennett might
>> have come from? Bettencourt perhaps?
>>
>>
>> Here's the story of today's discovery:
>>
>>
>>
>> I just found a missing cousin who is buried in St. Anthony's Cemetery in
>> Pescadero California (on the coast south of Half Moon Bay). Her mother
>> and
>> aunt were sisters of my great grandmother. I knew what happened to all
>> the
>> cousins except Rosa--I did not know who she had married or where she went
>> and despaired of ever finding out!
>>
>>
>> I found her parent's graves in the cemetery today, and alongside, in the
>> family plot, was "Rose Bennett". The birth year was correct, so I figured
>> this must be the missing Rosa. When I checked the census records I found
>> Rosa and Manuel Bennett living right next door to her parents in
>> Pescadero
>> in 1930! I had looked at the record many times, since another sister was
>> actually living with the parents at the time and there she was, right
>> under
>> my nose. Rosa's husband, Manuel Bennett, was born in California but his
>> parents are listed as from the Azores. There were other Bennetts from the
>> Azores in Pescadero at the time, too.
>>
>>
>> Anyway, I thought this tale might give hope to those who have lost the
>> trail. I don't know why I didn't check this cemetery before--I guess I
>> wasn't certain that the family had remained in the area.
>>
>>
>> Mary Bordi
>>
>>
>> _________________________________________________________________
>> Hotmail® has ever-growing storage! Don’t worry about storage limits.
>> http://windowslive.com/Tutorial/Hotmail/Storage?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_Tutorial_Storage1_052009
>> >>
>>
>

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].  Follow the confirmation directions when 
they arrive.
For more options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail 
(vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right 
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to