In a message dated 7/29/2009 1:14:05 AM Eastern Daylight Time, 
[email protected] writes: 
> Thanks for the info. 
> 
> I was wondering if it was Christopher, because I have some records from my 
> family that list a child with the name of Christopher, but on the Minho 
> site there is no Christopher but there is a Custodio.  All the other children 
> have the same names except for that one, so I was wondering if Christopher 
> might be the anglicization of Custodio.
> 
> Ben
There is Cristóvão= Christopher and then there is Custódio which has no 
equivalent name in English. The word means custody, or custodian as in keeper 
or guardian.

To the ear, Cristóvão and Custódio might sound similar, and thus if someone 
were looking to find a close Anglicization, Christopher would be an exact 
translation for Cristóvão and a close homonym for Custódio. As a given name 
Custódia is the female version. It is not listed as a family name in the 
Armorial Lusitano. I hope this helps.

John Miranda Raposo

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].  Follow the confirmation directions when 
they arrive.
For more options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail 
(vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right 
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to