From: azores@googlegroups.com on behalf of Vivian Christy
Sent: Wed 1/13/2010 6:52 PM
To: azores@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [AZORES-Genealogy] Pico

Gayle,

I don't know about a book of Martha Vineyard's portuguese.  My g. grandmother
who was Mary (Rose) Silva was born in Mass. abt 1865-1875 I have been looking
for her birth record but have not found it yet. Her father Antone Rose not sure
when he was born but was born in the Azores. He started buying property abt
1880 in cottage city, Edgartown, Tisbury & Oak Bluffs.  Because he ran away
with another women and was never heard from again or thats the story we heard.
His wife Antonia Rose do not know her maiden name. In 1985 our family was
notified that property taxes had not been paid on the property left and was
auctioned off.  She was unable to pay the taxes and no one in our family was
notified until it was to late.  So I do not know much about that side of the
family and could not find him in the census records.  Don't know when he came
to this country just that him, his wife and one son came here from the Azores.
I did find some birth records for
 Mary Rose but the Mothers name does not match.  I don't know what he did for a
living either. I know we are suppose to have relatives there by the last name
of Rose but have not made any connections yet.  Just not enough info yet.  Well
someday maybe I will find out. Thanks for your help.  Vivian (Silva) Christy