Hi Arthur,
   I live in Hayward, CA and have been trying to help a friend whose
grandmother was named Mary Deniz.  My friend's mother was known as Mamie Deniz
and, as you probably know, many women were named Maria and used Mary, Mamie,
and Mae as their first name here in the USA.  Also, I have seen Diniz spelled,
Deniz, Dinis, Denis and Dennis.
   In any case, the Mary Deniz that is my friend's grandmother was married to
John (Joao) M. Deniz Machado.  This Mary used the name Mary Machado Deniz.
   In 1914, in the Mt. St. Joseph Cemetery records, Mr. John M. Deniz Machado
purchased 4 graves and in one of them he buried his 10 month old son, Alexander
(Alex) Deniz Machado.
   In the same records, Mae (Mammie Dolores) Rose was buried in 1929.
   In 1934, Mary Machado Deniz (wife of John M. Deniz Machado) was buried.
   In 1941, Frank Lewis (Rebello) was buried.  The funeral home from which he
was buried lists his wife as Mamie Lewis and his parents as Francisco Lewis
Rebello and Filomena Augusta Medeiros both from the Azores.
   In the 1920 census, Mary was listed as divorced and had a son, Arthur L. who
was 20 years old; a son, John who was 18 years old and a daughter, Mamie M. who
was 16 years old.  The father of these children was listed as being born in the
Azores.
   I am trying to find the birth place of John & Mary.  I have Azores on the
1920 census; however, I need, at least the island to begin searching for their
birth.
  Does any of this information match the Mary Diniz you visited in Hayward?
Celeste, Hayward, CA

Celeste Perry ccgran...@yahoo.com