Terri,

I think that the wording on that column has changed from time to time.  It's
the literacy column.

I think what you are seeing says something like "Ler Escravo" for Read/write
(not sure on the Portuguese spellings).  I've also seen "alfabeto" or
something like that which is basically asking if they are literate or not.

Here's a clearer image where the pages aren't shadowing the headings (so
someone can correct my Portuguese spelling).
http://pg.azores.gov.pt/drac/cca/biblioteca_digital/PPDL1900-1902/PPDL1900-1902_item1/P69.html

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas,
Achada

-- 
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].  Follow the confirmation directions when 
they arrive.
For more options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail 
(vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right 
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."

Reply via email to