David, I lived in that neighborhood until the age of nine. We lived on Rivet Street, less than a block from Dartmouth St., and my grandmother lived on Matthew St.
I just checked my few really old photographs and found one, taken probably around 1919, of my mother's family with my grandfather seated in a chair, my mother and Aunt Mamie on one side of him and my grandmother and Uncle Walter on the other. It's one of my most precious possessions. The bottom of the cardboard frame is stamped "M. E. Sylvia, 251 Dartmouth St., New Bedford, Mass." I think your great-grandfather was a wonderful photographer. My mother, grandmother, and Aunt Mamie are all buried in Rural Cemetery, so when I get back to that part of the country I always visit the old neighborhood. Thank you for the historical sidenote. Nancy > Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 17:57:45 -0700 > Subject: [AZORES-Genealogy] Priestly Handwriting... > From: [email protected] > To: [email protected] > > > I believe I have found the baptismal record for my maternal > grandfather's father, Manuel Ignacio da Silva / Manuel Enos Sylvia. > As an interesting historical sidenote, my great-grandfather operated a > photography studio on Dartmouth Street in New Bedford, in his house > right next to Rural Cemetery, with his clientele being the Portuguese > community of the area. Apparently he became something of a de facto > chronicler of the early 20th C. Portuguese community of New Bedford .... _________________________________________________________________ The New Busy think 9 to 5 is a cute idea. Combine multiple calendars with Hotmail. http://www.windowslive.com/campaign/thenewbusy?tile=multicalendar&ocid=PID28326::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WM_HMP:042010_5 -- To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [email protected]. Follow the confirmation directions when they arrive. For more options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the right that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."

