I  am not sure if I can add to wat you have, but I've done some
research on these lines.  I came up with similar confusing
information.

One question I have.  Was the Consulado Geral...i.e. the Consulate
logs in Hawaii consulted for the passage on the Monarch and the
passage on the City of Paris. This would tell us if there were two
arrivals and what the families looked like whe when then arrived in
Hawaii. As I understand your info. below you've got the passport
registration from DeMello's book and then the ship manifest for the
City of Paris.  Is that right?

I haven't gone over this line in a long time, but I see some things.
1.  There is a pretty big age difference between Francisco Jose de
Souza and Jacintha Candida--22 years.  This could imply a second
marriage.
2.  Francisco married to Joanna Erminia da Costa Maiato don't seem to
appear on the Monarch's ship manifest.  Perhaps they never went to
Hawaii?  Presence of a passport entry does not always mean the couple
went to Hawaii.
3.  There is also confusion with that entry.  Eva aged 12 is listed as
a niece of Francisco Jose d'Souza.  She appears to be the same age as
Eva listed in the ship entry for Francisco and Jacinta.  Same Eva or a
coincidence in names?

I did find out alot about Eva.  She married Antonio Joaquim Fernandes,
son of Andre Joaquim Fernandes and Rosa Jacinta Duarte.  Living with
the couple in 1900 s Irmma [sic] Souza and Rosey Souza.  Both are
listed as sister-in-laws to Antono Joaquim Fernandes.  This would
imply that the Eva who married Antonio is the daughter of Francisco
Jse de Souza and Jacintha Candido.

Antonio and Eva are on page 120 of PHM.  This is where it gets more
confusing.  Eva's parents are listed as Francisco Jose de Souza and
Miquelina Rosa da Cunha.

So, we have a couple confusing things going on here. First we have a
ship manifest showing Jacintha being the Mother of these children.
But, the childre themselves claim Miquelina as their Mother.  And to
further confuse it, the Francisco in the passport record claims
Miquelina is the widow!

Then add in the age discrepancy between Francisco and his wife
Jacintha.

I found Jacintha living with her daughter Anna (Souza) Brum in 1900.
She is a widow.  So, there is no more to find out about Francisco
there.

I also have the marriage record for Francisco and Jacintha's son Jose
who married Maria "Mary" Medeiros.  On his marriage cert, he lists his
parents as Francisco Souza and Jacintha Candida Ferreira.

To me it's confusing.  It's possible that the children are confused on
the names of their parents.  It's possible that the Francisco listed
on the City of Paris isn't really as old as he says.  Or, he his and
Jacintha is wife #2.  Miquelina being wife #1.

I think the ony way to sort this out is going to be to get the
Consulate log in Hawaii record.  I don't believe the passport record
for 1884 exists, so that's not available to you.  Also, it might be
helpful to find Francisco and Jacintha's death records.  You probably
won't find Francisco's since he died before 1900.  Then to go to the
records for Rabo de Peixe to see if these children can be located and
who is listed as the Mother and Father.  That last one may be the only
way to sort it all out.

I'm not sure my information helps or not.

Mel