Just a little background on birth records.  Although official
recording in California became mandatory in July 1905, it appears that
many people did not adhere to the policy until the late 1920s and
early 1930s.

At that time, many women were still giving birth at home, which might
attribute to the lack of early reporting.  But also I think people
were fearful of the authorities--distrustful--and perhaps intimidated
in the immigrant communities.