As I look back at 2010, I can hardly believe the road we’ve travelled.

In January we knew of only a handful of my husband’s Azorean ancestors, and
never even thought about them.

In March Steve told me, “We have to start looking for my family”, and we
found the Azorean Genweb site and this email group. We began to learn about
the process of research.

An email to this group in April led to shared information that swelled our
database.

We attended the Azorean Genealogy conference in Salt Lake City, which
changed our lives.  We learned so much our brains could hardly take it in!
We started finding people in those microfilmed records!!

We became familiar faces at our local FHC. They got used to my exclamations
of “YES!” when I found yet another person. And since every baby and every
couple found gives clues, we are still – and will be for a very long time
–hot on the trail of Azorean ancestors.

Most recently, we got over the surprise of realizing that THREE of Steve’s
grandparents descend from one of his 4th Great-grandfathers,  Jose de Araujo
Daniel (b. 1750).

Our gratitude to Cheri and Rosemary and John Roias and Dan Paiva and other
new-found cousins, and to everyone else in the group who has been kind and
willing to answer questions and share their knowledge.  I have learned so
much just reading the postings here, and humbly hope to someday be able to
give as well as take from this group.

Our best to you all for a prosperous New Year.

Steve and Eileen Leite

Who are having carne assada em vinha d’alhos for dinner, one of Vovó’s
special dishes!

Researching Ponta Garca and Povoacao, Sao Miguel