JRap,

Read this on names:
http://homepage.mac.com/kmacardoza/Genealogy/naming.html

Actually, you may want to bookmark the main site (Azores GenWeb) as you'll
get referred to it quite a bit:
http://homepage.mac.com/kmacardoza/Genealogy/azoresindex.html

Also, you said you were illiterate in Portuguese, only a quarter and didn't
grow up in New Bedford and doubted your grandfather understood much
Portuguese.  I WAS illiterate in Portuguese, am also a quarter and grew up
in Los Angeles.  I also doubt my grandfather understood much Portuguese
(perhaps only when he was a little boy).  I can now "read," "write," and
sort of speak enough Portuguese to get by.  I can travel over there and not
worry about the language.  I can get by.  I also helped a few people learn
to "read" Portuguese as well and eventually started to write about how to do
this and then started lecturing and teaching classes.

My "reading" lessons are also on the Azores GenWeb here:
http://homepage.mac.com/kmacardoza/Genealogy/HowTo_Part_3a.html#reading

Start picking out what you can and post it here along with the link to the
record.  After you find your ancestor, look for his siblings (it'll probably
be the same handwriting for a little bit).  Post the siblings and the link.
After you do a few, you'll start to pick out more and more words.  It does
take a little time and tenacity, but it can be done.

If you don't have the time, a list of researchers for hire are also on the
Azores GenWeb here:
http://homepage.mac.com/kmacardoza/Genealogy/azoresindex.html#researchers

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas,
Achada

-- 
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].  Follow the confirmation directions when 
they arrive.
For more options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail 
(vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right 
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."

Reply via email to