Thank-you Cheri,  
 
FYI.
The French had attempted construction of a canal in the 1880s, the Panama  
Canal was successfully built from 1904 to 1914.
_http://www.eclipse.co.uk/~sl5763/panama.htm_ 
(http://www.eclipse.co.uk/~sl5763/panama.htm) 
 
Have looked at a few of my Azorean history books, revealing nothing  
specific.  Will follow-thru on some of your suggestions.  best,  grace
 
 
 
In a message dated 1/23/2011 4:58:40 P.M. Central Standard Time,  
[email protected] writes:

Grace,

To clarify the time period (and I'm not a  transportation history buff), 
would before air travel be before WWII?   When did air travel become feasible 
for the average American (or  Canadian?)  So are you saying maybe from 1850s 
to the 1950s?

I  know some disembarked on the east coast and took trains.  Mine did that  
in the very early 1900s.  I don't know the year of the Panama Canal off  
the top of my head, but I know many sailed around the horn before it was  
opened.  Some of the early ones probably joined wagon trains.

I  don't know of the train or ship ports.  Maybe others on this list  
knows.  If it wasn't too far and before the automobile, I suppose some  were 
just 
picked up by horse and buggy and brought to the home where they were  going 
to live.  

The routes are going to depend heavily on the  time period.  You might want 
to google "american migration trails" or  "american migration routes" to 
find information.

Sorry I'm not of more  help.
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: Vila Franca,  Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das 
Tainhas, Achada
-- 
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to  
[email protected]. Follow the confirmation directions when  
they arrive.
For more options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged,  or No Mail 
(vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group  at 
_http://groups.google.com/group/Azores_ (http://groups.google.com/group/Azores) 
.  
Click in the blue area on the right that says "Join this group" and it will 
 take you to "Edit my membership."


 

-- 
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].  Follow the confirmation directions when 
they arrive.
For more options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail 
(vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right 
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."

Reply via email to