He was a good man!!  grace

-----Original Message-----
From: Debra Wolgemuth <wolgemut...@msn.com>
To: Azores Genealogy <azores@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Fri, Jan 28, 2011 3:25 am
Subject: RE: [AZORES-Genealogy] Travel from Azores to West Coast or West Coast
to Azores (mode of travel)

My great grandmother traveled from the Azores to California, entered through
Ellis Island and took the train across the country to California.  My mother
recalls that my great grandfather paid for a female traveling companion to
escort Lena to California, because it was not proper for a lady to travel alone.

Debbie Wolgemuth
Researching Azoreans:  Jorge (Flores), Freitas (Flores), Enos (San Miguel),
Silveira Matos (Faial), Rodrigues (unknown)
Immigrated to:  Merced, CA