Ally, Great photo! I have lived in Pleasanton for the last 16 years have studied much of the local history. Between the time Pheobe Hearst died and the country club started, the hacienda was
operated as a dude ranch.That was during the 1940s and 50s. I'll bet a number of this crew stayed on employed on the property. I'm aquainted with a local family who operated the ranch, then sold the property for the club. I'll ask what they know about the dude ranch employees. I work next door to the museum and have researched in their archives. On my next appointment I'll look around for this information. I've worked with Pat Nostrome before on the Vieira Anselmo family here. Eric Edgar On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 8:09 AM, <[email protected]> wrote: > The attached photo is for anyone who may have an ancestor who worked for > Phoebe Aperson Hearst, at her Hearst Hacienda in Pleasanton, CA. in the > early 1900's. This photo was before the fire and the estate is now called > Castlewood Country Club. > > From comparing old family pictures Patsy and I think that the men > standing 4th from the left, 4th from the right, and sitting far left and far > right, are all Anselmo's. We do know that five of the brothers worked as > gardeners and one brother in law was a domestic servant inside. > > If this picture is a hit for anyone and you are interested in more info on > P. A. Hearst and her generosity to her workers and their families, I'd be > glad to share. > > Ally > Vieira Anselmo of Sao Padro, Sao Miguel > Pinheiro and Nunes of Faial > > > > -- > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to > [email protected]<azores%[email protected]>. > Follow the confirmation directions when they arrive. > For more options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail > (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at > http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the right > that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership." -- To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [email protected]. Follow the confirmation directions when they arrive. For more options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the right that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."

