hello all, First off i would like to say how great this website is being . I have just joined, thanks to some other users who i stumbled upon while starting my geneology search . They have been tremendous help in guiding me to research my great grandparents line of " de sousa calouro" , and " vieira anselmo". I would like to order some records from the bibliotecas and arquivos . I need to go back to the timeframe of 1750 or so ( ribeira seca and ribeira grande area, ns da conceicao, etc). I was wondering how far back in time does the bibliotecas have the records from? I know the parishes keep them for different timeframes , but was wondering if the bibliotecas will have older records?
Also i was looking at the national archives website "Arquivo Nacional da Torre do Tombo". Would they have most of the records that the biblioteca would have , or would they have older and more detailed info? ( marriage, death , etc. I tried looking around the site , but it is in portuguese and my portuguese reading is not the greatest. also is the cost the same 18 us dollars for a record copy or has the price changed? sorry for all the newbie questions , but am trying to learn the secrets ,lol. Thanks a million for your patience any feedback appreciated. -- To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [email protected]. Follow the confirmation directions when they arrive. For more options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the right that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."

