Re: the cost of records from the Azores:  the price has gone up and US
checks cost extra.  

I sent a request for a death record in Ponta Garca, Ponta Delgado, Sao
Miguel,  (and I had the year & month of the death, around 1935) with a check
for $18 US last Fall to Ponta Delgado, and got a reply letter saying that
the price has gone up to 20 Euros. They then say that I can best pay through
a website.  But I cannot figure out the website. It is in Portuguese, and
even after using a 'website translator' I cannot find where and how one
would pay for Vital Records. 

Here is an explanation of the contents of that letter as stated by the
Portuguese-speaking son of a friend, but he left for college and I never was
able to follow through with him on the website: 

<<Senhor Roberto Bastos is informing you that the check that you sent to him
for $18, after the applicable taxes and conversion rate (that I'm assuming
apply to cashing American checks in the Azores), is only worth 0.14 in
euros.  Apparently they must charge between 10-15 euros in taxes on American
checks.  Anyway, he said that he returned to you the check that you sent
him, so that you can cancel it and send a new one.  Oh, and he also
mentioned that after Oct 1, the price for requesting death certificates will
be 20.00 euros.

I agree that this is kind of ridiculous, and he mentioned that it would
probably be easier for you to just pay over the internet (possibly avoiding
any taxes or extra charges).  The site is the one he listed there:
www.portaldocidadao.pt

In case you keep wanting to send a check by mail, he left that address at
the bottom of his letter where he wants it sent.  I would personally advise
trying to pay by online because it's probably simpler and cheaper.  However,
I looked on the site for a little bit and it's pretty confusing, so either
send him an email asking for a more specific link to the exact page where
you need to make the payment, or (once I get back home next week) you can
talk to me and maybe I could call him and talk to him to iron some details
out.>>

I spent too much time trying to figure out the website, and then put this
project on my "Do Later" bin, so I haven't yet done anything more on it. 

I will try to attach the letter to this email, and if someone can figure
that website out, BLESS YOU!! 

Eileen Leite, who really would like that death record!!




>From Cheri Mello: 

>
> I'm not sure of the current price.  I haven't written in a while, but I
seem
> to remember someone trying to get a record there from last summer.  Maybe
> that person can repost what her cost was.  I can't recall at the moment.
>
> Cheri Mello
> Listowner, Azores-Gen
> Researching: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das
Tainhas,
> Achada

-- 
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
[email protected].  Follow the confirmation directions
when they arrive.
For more options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail
(vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."

-- 
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].  Follow the confirmation directions when 
they arrive.
For more options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail 
(vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right 
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."

Attachment: SCAN3534_000.pdf
Description: Adobe PDF document

Reply via email to