Pai, sua benção!  Father, your blessings! etc.

From: Jason Fraga <jay_fr...@applimetrix.com>
To: azores@googlegroups.com
Sent: Thursday, May 5, 2011 10:26 AM
Subject: Re: [AZORES-Genealogy] Asking for a "blessing"

Sorry, all- I sent this from a different email address a few minutes ago and I
think it bounced due to lack of permission to post.  This address should work.

I know that in the old country, my Azorean relatives would honor the custom of
asking for the blessing of their elders.  My "Uncle" Tony (who is actually my
Grandmother's brother) told me a funny story about attending family functions
and funerals where my Great Grandfather upon entering a room would see all of
the old and imposing "Aunts" lined up.  My Vavoo would get serious and tell
Uncle Tony (with emphasis), "Now, you go up right away to them and ask for
their blessing; I don't want any trouble".  I always laugh, because I can
picture my Vavoo saying that.  And from family stories that were passed down,
you sure didn't want to mess with the old aunts in my family.

So, on the subject of the blessing, do any of you know how it actually goes em
Portugues, and a rough translation?  I was thinking that it would be nice to
teach to my kids for the next time that we see Uncle Tony.

Thanks in advance,

Jay--