In sh'a la (the spelling is probably off), Allah willing.

From: Nancy Couto <nvcouto...@gmail.com>
To: azores@googlegroups.com
Sent: Sunday, May 8, 2011 5:39 PM
Subject: Re: [AZORES-Genealogy] Re: Asking for a "blessing"

John,

It wasn't until I took an introductory Portuguese course that I had the
opportunity to see how Portuguese words were actually spelled.  I remember
hearing my mother and grandmother using the phrase "Oxala que" often in
conversation.  To me it sounded as if they were saying "Oh, Shellac."  I
thought this was very strange.  Now I can only marvel at how my grandmother,
who had no formal education, was so comfortable using the subjunctive.

How interesting that this expression has Arabic roots!

Nancy

On Sat, May 7, 2011 at 12:37 PM, John Raposo <marra...@yahoo.com> wrote:

One of the most common Portuguese expressions, Oxalá, comes from the Arab, May
God will, God willing, etc. We have had many discussions about our Jewish
roots. Is it time for a discussion of out Muslim roots?