Emil,

The Jose Furtado Dutra born April 25, 1899 was my uncle by marriage.   He
came to the US in 1920 and married my aunt, Mary Elizabeth Lewis  (Luis).
They had no children, but my widowed mother and I lived with  them.  They also
helped raise some other children as well.

His sister Rose also came to the US, not sure when.  She lived near  New
Port, RI and in her later years wintered in Florida where here daughters and
son live.  Rose married a man named Woodson.

My uncle's other brother Antonio came to the US in the 60's as an older man
 to be with his daughters.  His daughter Rose had come to the US in the
50's  with her husband, Antonio Souza and two sons and they lived in
California near us.  His daughter Maria came when he did and she never
married.
Antonio came first to the East and then came to California.

Another brother, Joao was a half brother.  My Uncle Joe sent for  Joao's
two sons, Manuel and Frank during the time of the volcano in the late  50's.
Their sister Maria came to the US later with her husband and two  children
and eventually Joao and his wife Maria also came to the US and lived  here in
Ca near us.

I am very close to this family and am in contact with them regularly.   We
consider ourselves related even though we are not blood related.  My  Uncle
Jose Furtado Dutra had two cousins, Jose Garcia and Joao Da Rosa (later
americanized to Rose).  I have early pictures of them together, but I am  not
sure if the pictures where taken here or in the Azores.  They may have  even
come to the US together.  There was also a Moitoso family that would  visit
us the were related to my Uncle Joe.  I don't remember the husband's  name,
but the wife was Maria, of course and sons were Frank and Manuel.   The
whole family came from the Faial in the 60's also.

Oh and by the way, I also have Vargas relatives from Almoxarife.

Mary Ann

In a message dated 7/18/2011 9:16:44 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,