Hello Vivian,

Maybe someone else can chime in here on the ferry trip from Pico to Sao
Jorge and the amount of time it takes to get back and forth, etc.
Originally we were going to do the same from Terceira to Sao Jorge and it
would have taken hours for the ferry trip.  Hours that we wanted to spend on
the island not on a ferry, so we chose the 20-30 minute flight instead.  You
may end up having to spend the night in Pico and returning the next day
depending on if there's only one ferry trip or flight to Sao Jorge and back.
There may not even be daily ferry trips, it could be every two or three days
or weekly.  Keep in mind, you may not be able to pre-plan the flight or
ferry ride until you arrive in Pico or Sao Jorge depending on which island
you arrive at first.

Personally, I'd recommend not going to Lisbon on this trip and take
advantage of your time in the Azores (since you're talking one day in
Lisbon).  For the money it will cost you and when you might arrive, you may
only get a few hours, if any, before your next flight out to the Azores.
Vivian, "time" in the way of life in the Azores is much different than here
- slower pace..or like, "Oh well, if it doesn't' happen today, it can happen
tomorrow."  Not that it's a bad thing. J  Spending time flying from Lisbon
to Pico, etc. might be better spent 7 days divided between Pico and Sao
Jorge - the money you'd spend on flights from Lisbon to Pico can be used
flying between Pico and Sao Jorge (much less actually - I think we spent
$100 round-trip).  This would allow you maybe 5 days in Pico and 2 in Sao
Jorge.   We spent two weeks between two islands (Terceira & Sao Jorge) and
were busy the entire time!  Sure I would have loved to visit other islands
that I too had family from, but we didn't want to overdue our trip and not
have some relaxation and time to enjoy the islands and people.

Here's my recommendation for where to stay in Sao Jorge:  Quinta de Sao
Pedro
<http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g189133-d1103333-Reviews-Quinta_de_
Sao_Pedro-Velas_Sao_Jorge_Azores.html>

Sonia and her family own the Quinta.  Sonia's sister, Joanna I believe is
her name, operates the Quinta when Sonia is back working in Lisbon.  Quinta
de Sao Pedro is what I would call a Bed and Breakfast.  We stayed in the
room called, Casa Ma and it faced the ocean - what a beautiful way to start
your morning looking out at the ocean from your bed.  A delicious breakfast
is included and you have your choice of sitting indoors or out on the
balcony for your meal.  As you can see from Trip Advisor Qunita de Sao Pedro
is #1 on their site.  Here's the link to their site:  Quinta de Sao Pedro
<http://www.quintadesaopedro.com/> .

Depending on where you're wanting to visit in Sao Jorge, I have the name and
address of a lady who has ALL THE VILLAGE RECORDS transcribed before they
were taken to the mainland.  In addition, she's adding to the records as we,
descendants of Sao Jorge families, are coming back to the island, she's
updating where our relatives went after leaving Sao Jorge and who we are
that have come to visit.  A treasured task I must say!   She even told me of
my family buried in the cemetery next door to her home and the family home
our family owned many years ago (that my former boyfriend's family (we dated
22 years ago) now owns..can you believe this?  She happens to be related to
his family who live in Modesto, California.  All I can say is it's truly a
small world!)

You don't need a travel agent.  You can schedule your flights direct through
SATA.

This site <http://www.azoresweb.com/travel.html>  indicates travel to Pico
is WEEKLY from Lisbon whereas some of the other islands are daily.  At the
Fly TAP link via this site, flights are from Lisbon to Pico once per week
Saturday's only at $340 but on the SATA site it appears daily starting at
$255 BUT the BAD news is, none are direct flights.  The shortest is 5 hours
and 40 minutes with two stops prior to Pico, so basically your probably
looking the same as TAP with one per week since some of the flights say so
many hours and one day!

Here's the international # to call SATA (+351) 296 209 720

Or email to:  contac...@sata.pt

Personally, I'd call using SKYPE.  It's less expensive calling with SKYPE
for international calls or using a calling card.  Definitely, not using your
cell phone (this will become extremely pricy!).  I telephoned the islands
frequently making arrangements and such, though most are reachable via email
too.

Right now, I can imagine what you're think and feeling...since I was in your
same situation.  When we went, I handled all the arrangements for our entire
family and it's nothing compared to how we make arrangements here at least
that's how I look at it.  Now, that I've done it and what I've learned, I
happy to pass the information along.  Seriously, with a one week stay, I
would visit two islands and enjoy your trip.  Don't rush it.  The islands
are beautiful and so are the people.  It will go by quickly!

Enjoy,

Robin Borba Besotes