And there was the well known Azorean born American Alfred Lewis, author of
"Home is an Island"

John Miranda Raposo

________________________________
 From: Richard  Francis Pimentel <rfrancispimen...@comcast.net>
To: azores@googlegroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 12:45 PM
Subject: RE: [AZORES-Genealogy] LEWIS as a surname from Portugal

To add to what Jay said, I agree the name was changed from Luiz, It seems
that first names were adopted as family names.  An example I found very
common is people with the last name Jose when they came to this country it
may have been changed to Joseph. In records I have come across a man named
Bernardo Pacheco. His son went with the name Jose Bernardo Pacheco. In later
records the name Pacheco was dropped and it was recorded as Bernardo. So in
the matter of a few generations the name went from Pacheco to Bernardo.

Rick

Richard Francis Pimentel
Spring, TX
Formerly of Epping, New Hampshire

Researching, Riberia Grande, Riberinha Ponta Delgada, and Achada Grande,
Sao Miguel, Acores

Betty, I have a number of Lewis cousins that are from the Azores. The name
was changed from Luiz.

Jay Fraga
Massachusetts

Sent from my iPhone