Hi again,

Not everyone was illeterate....If the document is signed by someone and
there is NO X MARK... then the person would have signed him/herself.  Maria
Filomena's signature seem to be legit to that individual.  The church would
not forge it. neither would civil registry..  Civil registry documents
state clearly by the notary "signing thereof at the request of Mr/Ms xxxx
who cannot read or write.  Where the X or cross stands and the names
thereof are on behalf of the signor that was unable to sign and usually
entered by the priest.

Margaret

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 1:48 PM, Lester <lester.mur...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think the parish priest wrote the names of the individuals (note how
> similar the signatures are) and the individual put his "mark" on the
> document.
>
> On Mar 29, 10:57 am, EResendes <eman...@resendes.ws> wrote:
> > I've noticed alot of records that have signatures and they have some
> > crosses between the names.  Some of the crosses are plane and other's
> > are more elaborate.  Do they mean anything?  Here is an example:
> >
> > http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMG-PV-AGUARETOR...

> http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the

Margaret M Vicente