New to the list, and was wondering if anyone could provide some help.

Sadly, I have no real knowlege of my family tree, and now in my mid-30s it 
would be nice to know where I came from.  My father and mother know little 
about their heritage, and it was by happenstance alone I found a small 
glint of information.  A while ago I stumbled across an article 
(http://library.csustan.edu/bsantos/sketch1.html), while searching for my 
late grandfather's phone number (now my parent's).  The article states;

"Rufus' mother, Rose Furtado, was born on January 25, 1881 in Sunol, 
California. Her parents were Jose Silveira Furtado and Maria Furtado who 
were both from Faial, Azores Islands. She attended local schools and could 
read and speak both Portuguese and English. Confusion enters at this point 
as to the surnames used by Rose's six brothers and two sisters. Some took 
the last name Kelby and some used Santos. The family tells the story of the 
great grandfather being a cook on a sailing vessel and who had red hair. It 
is assumed that he was a Kelby (Irish) or took on the name Kelby; 
therefore, those in Rose's family who "felt Irish" used the Irish Kelby

Rose's brothers and sisters were: Rosalinda Santos who married William 
Quaresma and were owners of a Portuguese language Sacramento newspaper with 
the name "Imparcial;" Mary who married Joe Avilar; Manuel; Samuel Solsteen 
Kelby whose wife was Audrey and lived in Dunsmuir, California; John Kelby 
whose wife was Emily; Frank Santos; Henry Kelby who married four times; and 
Joe Santos." 

As it turns out, I am a Kelby.  I discussed this with my father, and found 
that he knew little beyond the fact that Samuel Solsteen and Audrey were 
his fraternal grand-parents.

I was wondering if someone could provide me with any information about Jose 
Silveira Furtado and Maria Furtado from Faial; birth dates, immigration 
dates, port of entry, anything.  

Thank you!

Richard Kelby II

-- 
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].  Follow the confirmation directions when 
they arrive.
For more options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail 
(vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right 
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."

Reply via email to