Hi Doug,

 

I have one connection to a slave on one side of my Sao Miguel ancestors (a
6th great grandmother) and am looking for another based on a maternal line
DNA test which places my Fathers maternal line into the L2 Haplogroup which
is African origin and not common in the Acores. I have the films at the FHC
in NH which I will continue my search next month on a visit.  

 

Rick

 

Richard Francis Pimentel

Spring, TX

Formerly of Epping, New Hampshire 

 

Researching, Riberia Grande, Riberinha, Achada Grande,  Bretanha, and Ponta
Delgada,  Sao Miguel, Acores

 

From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of
[email protected]
Sent: Friday, December 28, 2012 12:42 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: [AZORES-Genealogy] Re: Birth record of daughter of slave

 

Hello Katharine,

 

I noticed your question about slaves, so I thought I'd join in to answer
you.

 

I don't think I have ever seen a single village in the Azores where there
ISN'T a baptism of a slave. So, they were found in every village.

 

As you would expect, it must have been a measure of wealth and status to be
a slave owner. Everyone from priests to nobility and wealthy families had
them.

 

They are important to notice if you are doing serious research, because they
often mention as the padrinhos (godparents) many family connections that
might not otherwise be mentioned, especially when these padrinhos are single
and can't be found ever being married or having any children. It can be the
one and only time you ever see them mentioned.

 

There were other slaves than from Africa, but it is still my first
presumption. They often do say a black slave, but not always.

 

Just yesterday I ran across the baptism of a child who married in Terceira,
but was native of Sao Jorge and found her mother was a black slave.

 

Finding descendants of these slaves is of particular interest to me. There
are several on this list who have mentioned they found a slave ancestor in
their tree.

 

The closest I have personally come is a sibling of my ancestor in Terceira
married a child of a slave.

 

Atenciosamente,

 

Doug da Rocha Holmes
Sacramento, California
Pico Genealogist
916-550-1618

 

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [AZORES-Genealogy] Re: Birth record of daughter of slave
From: Katharine <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, December 28, 2012 10:36 am
To: [email protected]
Cc: [email protected]

Rick, this is fascinating, as I had been unaware of slaves (presumably of
African origin) in the Azores.  Were there very many, and do you know their
distribution in the various islands of the archipelago?

I ask because I'm currently translating Onésimo Almeida's essay collection O
peso do hífen [The weight of the hyphen, referring to the hyphenated
identity of Portuguese-Americans].  In one of his essays -- "Olhares
americanos sobres três comunidades açorianas da Costa Leste na década de
1920" (pp. 129-152) -- Dr. Almeida recounts at length the justifiably great
outcry that arose among the New England Azorean community following the
publication of Donald Taft's 1923 scholarly treatise Two Portuguese
Communities in New England, in which he posits the racial theory of people
from São Miguel being socio-economically inferior and less intelligent due
to having Black blood in their ancestry (as opposed to folks from the
Central and Western Island groups of the Azores, who had more Flemish
blood).  Sigh...

At present my English translation of this essay is still in the first-draft
stage, although if you read Portuguese I would be happy to email you the
original text of the relevant portion of the chapter.  Katharine.



On Wednesday, December 19, 2012 12:48:25 PM UTC-5, Richard Francis Pimentel
wrote:

Hi All, 

 

I came across this record several years ago in Achada and was confused by
it. I went back this morning and realize that is was because the parent was
a slave. It is a bit hard to read. 

 

What I can make out is it says “Francisca daughter of Elena de Medeiros
single slave of Joanna Amaral widow of Captain Antonio de Medeiros.  Born 26
Nov 1754

 

 

http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMG-ND-ACHADA-B-1751-17
70/SMG-ND-ACHADA-B-1751-1770_item1/P27.html 

 

Rick

 

Richard Francis Pimentel

Spring, TX

Formerly of Epping, New Hampshire 

 

Researching, Riberia Grande, Riberinha, Achada Grande,  Bretanha, and Ponta
Delgada,  Sao Miguel, Acores

 

-- 
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
[email protected]. Follow the confirmation directions when
they arrive.
For more options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail
(vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the right
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership." 

-- 
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
[email protected]. Follow the confirmation directions when
they arrive.
For more options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail
(vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the right
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."

-- 
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].  Follow the confirmation directions when 
they arrive.
For more options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail 
(vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right 
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."

Reply via email to