Kathy LD,

Being a female and going after a great-ancestor line, you'd probably want
the Family Finder test (autosomal DNA).

All DNA tests for genealogy do NOT find living people per se.  They find
common DNA between two people who descend from the same ancestor.  Most
people in the Azores database are Americans, I have a few Canadians, a
couple of people from the Azores, and one from New Zealand.  I don't
remember the Madeira project having anyone from Madeira participating at
this time.  However, the matching system will match you with EVERYONE in
the FTDNA database who has taken the Family Finder test.

In addition to the matches, you'll be able to see exactly on which
chromosome you are matching someone and you'll also get information on your
ancestral origins in the broad sense (European, Asian, African, Middle
Eastern).  This is in Beta and is undergoing revision at this time.

Let me know if you have further questions,
Cheri Mello
FTDNA Admin
Azores (and Madeira) DNA Projects