Here's how I did it......
Todd has his Gedcom up on FTDNA.  He's got about 5 or 6 generations (some 2
greats, some lines are 3 greats).  So his lines go back to the 1820s or
so.

In FTDNA, I found Todd in my dad's FTDNA matches (he didn't match me -
guess I don't have enough of that DNA left) and I clicked the blue button
below his name.  His pedigree opened.  Then I started pointing at each
person.  A little window reveals the details...date and place of birth as
well as date and place of death. I saw a couple of his ancestors with Vila
Franca. I have lots of Vila Franca ancestors.  Then I kept looking.  Soon I
found a group of his ancestors from Ribeira Quente.  I swear I'm related to
half of Ribeira Quente (RQ).  RQ is online at the CCA and I happen to have
a book that has the marriages in it.

Since Todd matches Shirley Allegre, I called Shirley, talked her through
finding Todd, and told her to take one group of ancestors from RQ and I'd
take the other.  It took about 2 hours I'd say, for me to make the
connection (part of that is I'm still on my slow laptop to it takes a
little bit of time for the images to load from the CCA site).

I now have 4, 5, or 6 people who all match each other.  I'm pretty sure we
are all coming from a couple that I call Antonio and Constancia.  A couple
of the people are stuck in Hawaii still, but they are matching me/my dad,
Shirley, Todd, etc.  And we all come from the same couple.  So I'm about
99% sure of that being the connection!

Cheri Mello
FTDNA Admin (volunteer)
Azores DNA Project