Hello All, I know there has been a lot about DNA here in the past several months, but I am still curious about some things that may have not been discussed yet. Being a paying member of ancestry.com, I decided to do the $99 promotion in summer of 2012. I'm no DNA expert, the results were interesting in a way because it was something new to analyze. However, I did have some complaints. I thought my close matches would be easy to confirm because my family tree is now pretty well developed. (over 1000 people and closest brick walls were born in early mid 1800's) That being said, recently some members (including me) have been able to review ancestry.com's updated "ethnicity estimate preview" and it is appears to be much more accurate with what I do know about my family, so I also can trust the few snippets that are surprising. So I am little more satisfied. However, I am still disappointed I never seem to triangulate my potential matches on my tree. When I compare member trees outside of ancestryDNA in the regular ancestry.com I find plenty of 7th cousins and beyond, assuming our trees are correct. For example, I happened to recognize one of my ancestry.com DNA matches on this group that shares my last name, but when I reviewed his tree we also share French Canadian and British descent that happened to also settle in the New Bedford, MA area. From the Ancestry DNA results there is no clue as to our shared ancestry(ies). Both our trees are relatively filled out and it says we are 50% probability matches, 5-9th cousins. Would FTDNA be better at determining our shared ancestry in this example? I see that Cheri has been promoting FTDNA and it all seems interesting and her descriptions kind of help me understand what FTDNA offers that I don't get at ancestry.com, but what would really help me understand the difference is to see and example of the reports you get when you do the family finder on FTDNA. Cheri (or anyone else), do you know how I could get a look at the sample reports/findings that one gets with FTDNA, either in or out of the Azores project? I have one surviving Great Aunt that was born in the Azores and I have been considering asking her to do a DNA test and I'm still on the fence as to which test to pay for. Maybe for $99 each, I should just do both. I could take snapshots of my ancestry DNA reports if anyone is interested and upload them to the group. Thanks in advance for any advice, Jeremy Rapoza (trying to research Rapoza's in Pico and Tavares' in Faial)
-- For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the right that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership." --- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Azores Genealogy" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected]. To post to this group, send email to [email protected]. Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.

