Cheri;  Yes, this was definitely clearer.  I'll have to read it several times 
to get the most from it but; I do understand more what you were indicating in 
your first email.  The cm's number is something I've been wondering about and 
your explanation of the cm numbers below clarify somewhat the information I'm 
seeing on FTDNA.  I appreciate the time and effort you've put in to explain 
this to me and others.

Thanks much, Sam K


________________________________
 From: Cheri Mello <[email protected]>
To: Azores Genealogy <[email protected]> 
Sent: Friday, September 20, 2013 2:17 PM
Subject: Re: [AZORES-Genealogy] Using Family Finder to Triangulate
 


Sam K,

I've been trying to think of someway to make this more clear (in an email).  
It's hard with just the written word where I can't point things out and hear 
you say "huh, what?" and have the give and take that's needed for me to make 
this clear.  Not to mention that this is the first time I've tried to explain 
triangulation in an email and so it was about as clear as mud.

The "Relation" is a formula (or maybe more than one) that the geneticists or 
their statisticians use to calculate if you are 2C (2nd cousin), 3C (3rd 
cousin) etc.

A parent and child will share over 3000 cMs total with the longest block in the 
200 cM range (A cM is a centoMorgan which is a genetic unit of measure, like an 
inch or centimeter - but it's microscopic, of course).  1st cousins can have a 
total of cMs that range from the upper hundreds to a little bit over 1000 cMs 
and the longest block would be somewhere in the 100s of cMs.  2nd cousins share 
a different amount of DNA, around the 200 total cM range with the longest block 
being 30s or 40s.  I don't have all the numbers or the math formulas.  I'm just 
looking at peoples pages who have identified their 1st and 2nd cousins and 
giving you the ranges I see.

And it would help if I didn't mistype things in the chart!  So here's the chart 
with the 3rd cousin typo fixed!


 Ancestor Total cMs Longest Relation 
George M. Anto - Vic 155.04 26.37 2C 
Cheri M. Anto - Vic 70.49 23.03 3C 
Todd B. Anto - Vic 58.25 20.4 3C 
Shirley A. Anto - Anto 49.44 16.36 4C 
Gail E. Anto - Franco 26.03 10.16 Remote 
Paul S. Anto - Jose ? 19 
 
As the number of total cMs and as the longest block of cMs deceases, the more 
distant the relationship is.  The more distant the relationship, the less 
common ancestors you have.  Or maybe I should say string of ancestors.  My line 
is Antonio - Victorino - Luiz.  Todd's line is Antonio - Victorino - Ursula.  
Because Todd and I have more cMs in common with this fellow who has the pai 
incognito, I believe that this man comes from Antonio - Victorino.  

My dad, George, has about 155 total cMs in common with this man and I have 
about 70 cMs.  That's close to getting about half my dad's DNA.  What's 
interesting is that the longest block of 26 or 23 cMs.  My dad has the block of 
26 cMs but passed down most of that block in tact to me (23 cMs).  

The reality though is that the match and the genetics can't predict human 
nature.  My dad's DNA is kinda messed up.  His grandparents were double first 
cousins**, so my dad got a double dose of what amounts to the same DNA.  My 
dad's DNA probably should be more like mine - in the 70 cM and 20 something cM 
range.  And mine should be different.  But that's not what played out.  We got 
cousins marrying, so we get what we get!


Once you start getting a cluster of matches around a particular ancestor, you 
will see the pieces fall into place.  It takes time to figure this out.  First 
you have to find the right people (or not find them - I asked earlier this 
summer for anyone who have my Antonio & Constancia in their tree to contact me 
and no one did, but Todd tested who did NOT know he had Antonio & Constancia in 
his tree).  Then this has to be pieced together.  Todd had 2 or 3 generations 
to bridge before I connected him.  Because Shirley Allegre has this couple, 
because I have the Insulana book, because the marriages we needed were on the 
CCA site, we were able to connect Todd up in only a few days.  The man with the 
pai incognito will take longer.  Probably a few years before everything starts 
to become clear.

** Double first cousins: They share BOTH sets of grandparents in common.  With 
DNA, we get 50% of our DNA from mom and dad, and 25% from each of our 
grandparents.  Our grandparents are usually 4 unrelated individuals.  With 
double first cousins, there are only 2 completely different families.  I'll 
make a separate email with this (gotta figure out a diagram in an email).

Was this any more clear?  If not, I'll think some more and try to figure out a 
better way to say this.


Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, 
Achada 
-- 
For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) 
mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right 
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Azores Genealogy" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.

-- 
For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) 
mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right 
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Azores Genealogy" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.

Reply via email to