From: richard matranga <rdmatra...@msn.com>
To: azores <azores@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Mon, Oct 14, 2013 1:22 pm
Subject: RE: [AZORES-Genealogy] braga

Hi Helen:  I don't think that I had your compete email address...anyway, I have
been hitting a "brick wall" re my maternal side of the family.  I am the
maternal great grandson of Maria Braga, born on the island of Santa Maria, May
17, 1884.  I believe she was born in Vila do Porto.  I know she had at least
one brother, Jose, born circa 1885.  The story is that when she was a "lttle
girl", her mother may have drowned and that she was raised by a couple of Aunts
on the island of San Miguel.......she arrived in the US (Boston)  in Febuary
1906.  I can not find a record of a marriage but she moved to San Pablo Ca., in
oct., 1907 and shows that she married John Nevis.   they lived in the San Pablo
area until the 1940s.  Jose, the brother I know a little about, came to CAlif.
around 1910 .  He lists John Nevis as a friend on the ship register.  Don't
know if any of this will connect up to your Bragas .  Maria had a daughter,
Ann, born in San Pablo in 1909.  Ann was my grandmother.

Richard Matranga