Eric
another good source that could fill in your gaps for your great grandparents
could be from the Portuguese Genealogical & Historical Society of Hawaii 810
North Vineyard Blvd, Room 11, Honolulu ,Hawaii 96817 telephone  (808) 841-5044
They have a computer database of portuguese immigrants to Hawaii 0f over
262,000 names dating back to the whaling and plantation era. They are a
non-profit organization manned by unpaid volunteers they survive on membership
dues and donations.
Edward Rodrigues