I am brand new to genealogy and have gone from no family tree to 500 people
in 2 months. Most of the 500 however are not on my Portuguese side.

A big challenge for me is wrapping my brain around how names are determined
and how some of the records for women have no last name. Both lines I am
tracing back, at least here in California, used both "last" names
individually at different times. I have also lost count of all the
different spelling variations I have found.

On my Martins da Costa line, I found the village, which really opened a lot
of information up to me through the baptismal records.

I don't have village information on the Marks Souza line (Sao Jorge)  yet
and the Monteiro line is my shortest. I do have a clue for Mariana Monteiro
(1880-1954) in that she was somehow related to Joe Viery ( owned the Red
Sails Inn and mentioned in Lawrence Oliver's Never Backward.)

I look forward to sharing any information I may have and to pick the brains
of the experts from time to time as well.

Thanks,
Mike Souza

Researching: Marks, Souza, Marks Souza, Monteiro, Vaz Dinis, Martins da
Costa,