During the Iberian Union which was approximately 1580 to 1640 Portugal and
Spain remained separate countries technically, but had one king during that
time I  Azoreans immigrated to Puerto Rico I haven't done too much research
on Cuba but I suspect there as well. Also Cuba was heavily settled by
people from the Canary Islands Canary islander have some Portuguese
ancestry. I can give a specific example of one family the Bettencourts
started off in Normandy France but ended up in the Azores,  first went to
the Canary islands then Madeira some of them remaining there, before the
Azores.