Hi Cheri,

That 'freguesia' certainly does NOT have two churches.

In Vila Franca (town) there are the following freguesias:
- São Miguel, VFC (Freguesia); Vila Franca do Campo
(Concelho/Municipality); São Miguel (Island); Açores (Region); Portugal
(Country)*: http://tombo.pt/f/vfc03
- São Pedro, VFC (Freguesia); Vila Franca do Campo (Concelho/Municipality);
São Miguel (Island); Açores (Region); Portugal
(Country)*: http://tombo.pt/f/vfc04

There are others freguesias in that concelho, but they correspond to other
villages.

I know that this can be confusing, and indeed in the CCA there are actually
books from multiple churches in the same freguesia:
- Ginetes, Ponta Delgada, São Miguel, Açores: http://tombo.pt/f/pdl09 -
notice the three 1904-1911 books for Varzea (this one shows up in the CCA
is a distinct freguesia - but it never was)
- Santa Cruz, Praia da Vitória, Terceira: http://tombo.pt/f/vpv08 - this
one is harder, but there's a couple of burial books for 'Casa da Ribeira',
see 1695-1759 and 1813-1833 (CCA hides these books under the main
freguesia).

Except for the exceptions (which should indeed be noted), in the Azores up
to now it is sufficient to indicate the freguesia (NOT the town), concelho
and island. Of course we could then go into the dillemma of using the
patron saint/church name or the 'civil parish' name. That, I leave as an
exercise to the reader, as not even the CCA seems to be following a uniform
system there.

Regards,

João Ventura
http://tombo.pt/en

*Refer to the recent Cosmos series for the rest of the cosmic address.