Marriage between first cousins has taken place more than once on my
paternal line. One set of my great grandparents were first first cousins.
In more recent generations in this same line, first cousin marriages have
occurred with no apparent ill effects. I can cite one specific case where
the two first cousins married and their son went on to get an advanced
degree in finance. He subsequently married a non-cousin. His grandparents
were both first cousins of mine. There's an old saying, when cousins marry,
if the genes are good, you get geniuses, but if the genes are bad, you get
idiots.
John Vasconcelos