The book is *Saudade*, a Portuguese word but the book is in English, by
Winthrop. I found it reviewed on
*http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~azrwgw/*<http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~azrwgw/>.

It's set in the Azores and filled with interesting facts a fictional
genealogist learns as she researches her own ancestors.