Here's something I've always wondered about and it would be very interesting if anyone knew the answer.

When a baptism, marriage or death record was newly created, say back in 1806 (just a random year), was the page already bound in a volume?

I think the answer is no. I imagine the priest had a stack of blank papers cut to the proper size that he pulled out and wrote up the record. Once enough of them were enough to make a volume, they had a priest bind the pages into a book.

It would mean that there might be 5 to 70 years, depending on the size of the parish, that the pages stayed unbound. A little village like Sao Joao, Pico, had one volume of baptisms starting in 1807 and ending in 1827. That's 20 years of loose leafs until they got bound.

Sometimes the priest's ink bottle got knocked over onto the paper and we have a giant black spot still there today.

Anyway, just curious about these things I pour over daily.

Doug da Rocha Holmes
Sacramento, California
Pico & Terceira Genealogist
916-550-1618
www.dholmes.com

--
For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the right that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
---