Steve and I worked on this couple last year.

The Caetano de Freitas on the Pacific whaler is not his guy, but may be his
relative. There seem to be two "Caetano de Freitas" groups in Flores. One
centered in Lajes and Lomba, and the other on Santa Cruz

With all the resources available for Flores online or as ebook, I think you
will be able to do more research at home than on the island.

Eric