History [edit | edit source code]

The temple was erected in fulfillment of a vow made in 1849 by Colonel
Nicolau Maria Raposo de Amaral  (1770-1865) and his wife, Teresa Ermelinda
Rebelo (1797-1895). The invocation was chosen St. Nicholas, bishop of Myra
in Lycia, buried in Bari, Italy, and therefore improperly designated as
"bishop of Bari" .1

The chosen site, with 25,000 square meters, had been previously acquired,
April 3, 1834, becoming a member of one primogeniture established by deed
since September 29, 1821. Design in Gothic Revival style was entrusted to
Manuel Lamberto Monteiro, which was also responsible for directing the
work, started in 1849 with the support of 60 workers. Was decisive for the
choice of location of the temple a spring of water nearby, which made the
temple stay relatively isolated. To provide you with access, we constructed
a mall cedar, headed today by two towering pines.

By deed of June 25, 1857 the temple was endowed with a sum of 2 $ 600
annual reis for their conservation. Subsequently, on May 11, 1859 received
a dowry to the oil lamp of the Blessed Sacrament.

The church was consecrated amid great festivity on August 16, 1857, with a
solemn Mass celebrated by the bishop of the Diocese of Angra, D. Frei
Estêvão de Jesus Maria.

The founders kept a chaplain, who had built the Passal, allowing the valley
population attend Mass, which, until then, was only possible in the
neighboring parishes. At the time, the place of the Sete Cidades belonged
to the parishes and Ginetes and Mosteiros, separated by the bed of the
"Ribeira da Praia", which came to be called, henceforth, Rua da Igreja.

The law of May 19, 1863, which abolished the morgadios in Portugal, made
​​this temple back to the ownership of its founders.

In the twentieth century, his heirs, no longer wishing to preserve it,
donated it to the people in 1969, which became the headquarters of curacy
in the parish office on 23 May of that same year. A little later, in 1971,
the Sete Cidades were elevated to parish.

www.georgepacheco.com