My understanding is as follows:

Filho (a) natural means that the parents, who are not married to each other, 
nevertheless have no impediments to marriage, i.e. neither one is married and 
they are therefore free to marry each other if they so desire.

In the 16th and 17th centuries one often sees couples getting married who 
already have a child (or more) who have been waiting for dispensations from the 
prohibitions relative to consanguinity, before they would be allowed to marry.

The term filho(a) natural can only be properly applied if the identity of both 
parents is known. (How else would one know that the parents were free to marry?)

Filho (a) illegítimo (a) means that at least one parent is not free to marry 
the other parent, e.g. one of them is married to somebody else.

Pai incógnito (and in some rare cases mãe incógnita), pai não sabido, means the 
identity of the father (in some rare cases the mother) is not known so that no 
judgement can be made as to the status (ilegítimo vs. natural) of the child.

I could be wrong, but this is my understanding. I hope I have not confused 
anybody.

Illegitimacy (in Massachusetts where I live) was a term applied to any child 
born to a single parent. Therefore, we sometimes misapply the term to 
Portuguese children whose parents, though not married, have no impediments to 
being married. (filho(a) natural and filho(a) ilegítimo(a) are not synonymous) 
Today, in Massachusetts, the term illegitimate, no longer appears on a 
contemporary birth record, though the marital status of the mother (and father, 
if known) is stated. If the identity of the father is unknown, the space is 
left blank. Those records are restricted and are only available to the legal 
guardian of the child (usually the mother, but not always, e.g grandparents, 
etc., or the State), or to the subject of the registration if he/she is an adult


John Miranda Raposo



On Thursday, July 10, 2014 5:57 PM, IslandRoutes 
<[email protected]> wrote:
 


I have had the opportunity to work on lines in the Azores and Southern France 
(not Portuguese...LOL)  I noticed something that made me wonder about terms.  
In France, there is an equivalent to Pai Incognito.  It escapes me at this 
moment, but it isn't important.  It means the same thing that the father is 
unknown.    But, you almost equally see "fil naturel" or something similar.  
This means the child was born to an unmarried couple.  It is followed by the 
name of the father and the mother.   The father claims his children in this 
case.

I learned from other French researchers that up through the mid 1800s (maybe 
later), many couples could not afford to pay the necessary fees at the civil 
and church level.  Instead, they set up house and started their family as if 
they were married.  They would save up money and then when they could afford 
it, they would go do the necessary things to be officially married.  In these 
cases you always saw the children baptized as fil naturel and with the father's 
name given.  It was not an uncommon practice amongst the poor. I have a couple 
in my tree in the 1780s.  It is a little peculiar when you find the baptismals 
then 5-10 years later you find the marriage.

This made me wonder about the Pai Incognitos in the Azorean records that I have 
found.  Was there a similar thing in the Azorean culture?  Did couples who were 
poor start their families without an official marriage or was this something 
specific to France--or maybe even Southern France where my Dad's line hails 
from?  

I really started to wonder about it after working on my cousin's Raposo line.  
Her great grandmother had at least two children where the father was Pai 
Incognito and her great great grandmother also had at least two children where 
the father was Pai Incognito.   I don't recall seeing multiple Pai Incognitos 
in one family, and with mother and daughter, though I guess I haven't really 
looked that hard since it wasn't in my direct line.

Interested to know what others think.  I have very little knowledge of Azorean 
culture during the 1700 and 1800s.

Thanks 
Mel

-- 
For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) 
mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right 
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Azores Genealogy" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.

-- 
For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) 
mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right 
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Azores Genealogy" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.

Reply via email to